Comparison of Spiritual Gift Passages in the New Testament
Potential Problem with Gifts—Disunity in the Church
I Corinthians 12
I Peter 4
3. Do not think of your self more highly than you ought to think.
1. Walk in a manner worthy of the calling …with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain unity.
9. Be hospitable to one another without complaint.
Gifts given by God, empowered by the Spirit. Apportionment by God’s sovereign choice.
3. Each according to the measure of faith God has assigned; 6. having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us . . .
7. Manifestation of the Spirit
11. The Spirit empowers each one individually as he wills.
7. Grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
10. As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
Diversity in the Church--One Body, many members. Unity not in spite of diversity, but because of diversity.
4. As in one body, we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, 5. so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
12. All the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 14. The body does not consist of one member, but many.
4. There is one body. 12. for the building up of the body of Christ. 16. From whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow . . .
Purpose of the Gifts
7. For the common good,
12. For the building up of the body of Christ, 13. Until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ. 16 the whole body . . .makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
10. . . . employ it in serving one another 11. . . . so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever.
What Unifies Diversity?
9. Let love be genuine. 10. Love one another with brotherly affection.
31. I will show you still a more excellent way. Continued in Chapter 13.
2. Bearing with one another in love, 4. Eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 15. Speaking the truth in love, 16. when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.